Saturday, May 21, 2011

Day 61 sunny outside, gloomy inside.

Trying my best to keep my patience without totally losing it altogether.

I love how my still life came out.  I think I am going to do a whole still-life series centered around food.  The next still-life will be lots of beautiful vegetables, like a big purple juicy eggplant, a soup pot, a fat recipe book, it will be great.  I'm really getting the hang of this still-life process.  It can be quite fun.
 I started this piece - I just want to add a bit more to it and then I'm done.
 I did two more inchies as I promised myself.
 For my brothers, I made fluffy ricotta pancakes.
 Lox, eggs, and onions for mom.
 Apple Cheddar Pupcakes for the dogs.
 Then I undertook the ambitious task of making seven layer cookies because my brother adores them.  But boy, are they a pain in the butt!
This is what the cookies are supposed to look like.
After making the almond paste in a saucepan, beat egg whites and sugar.  Fold in egg yolks, flour, butter, and almond extract.
Divide the batter between four bowls.
 Put red food coloring in one bowl, yellow in the 2nd, green in the 3rd, and 1/4 cup cocoa powder in the last bowl.  Bake for 10 minutes at 350F.
 Stack the layers with 1/3 cup of strawberry jelly in between as the "glue"
 Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for four hours.
 After that, you cover it with chocolate and sprinkles, refrigerate for one more hour, and finally slice into bars.  We'll see how they turn out!
It's beautiful out, but it is difficult to really enjoy all of the colors of spring with out food to brighten up the picture.  When I had two fistulas three years ago, it took three months of nothing by mouth to heal.  At this point, I would be HAPPY with three months.  I'll be lucky if I only have to ensure one more month of this misery...

No comments:

Post a Comment